1. Preheat the oven to 350 F. Trim the ends off the loaf and slice the bread in half lengthwise. Spread both cut surfaces with mayonnaise, layer one half with pickle slices, cheese, pork, and ham, cover with the second slice of bread, and cut down the middle into two sandwiches.
2. Place the sandwiches on a lightly oiled baking sheet and brush the tops with butter. Place a heavy cast-iron skillet over both sandwiches to weigh them down, and bake until crisp and hot, about 20 minutes.
Miami Sandwich Variation: For a Miami Sandwich, toast the bread, assemble the sandwich as for a Cuban Sandwich, and add 4 slices fried bacon, 2 large leaves lettuce, and 4 tomato slices, before cutting in two. Do not bake the sandwiches.
- 1 - Loaf - Cuban Bread or Italian Bread.
- 2 - Tablespoons - Mayonnaise
- 2 - Pickles - Small dill pickles, thinly sliced lengthwise.
- 2 - Slices - Swiss Cheese
- 4 - Ounces - Sliced roast pork
- 4 - Ounces - Sliced boiled or baked ham
- 1 - Tablespoon - Butter, melted